Monday, February 23, 2009

Today's Question: Isn't it Really Just About Common Sense?

There's been a lot of online and offline chatter about the do's and don'ts of social media. You can find the five things to do on Twitter to get 1,000 followers in 36 hours, as well as the rules of engagement with friends and colleagues on Facebook.

We struggle with who to friend, who to follow and who to link to...we seek information on how to use this extremely addicting and completely transparent form of communication. Should a colleague really see that I had a few drinks over the weekend, would a client be upset if I tweet about an upcoming event, do I really want my boss to see photos of me from high school.

I think that it just comes down to common sense. If you wouldn't complain about a colleague to their face in the office, why would you use your status update to vent your feelings when he/she can see it later--and what's more, comment on it!

Social networking can be fun because you will probably learn something about others and yourself along the way.

Just remember, think before you type!

No comments:

Post a Comment