Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Today's Question: Do You Manage with Intensity?

Today's question is inspired by a recent management tip provided by Harvard Business School. The tip read: "management intensity" is a crucial response to the accelerating speed at which things are changing. Big-picture strategic thinking is important, but right now leaders need to be involved, visible, and communicating all the time.

Well, I think I've been getting management intensity wrong (or have I?)--while I believe I have an innate ability to think about the big picture and can be a real asset in strategic planning, I also realize that at the same time, I'm a manager that gets in trenches and becomes involved with the tactical execution of projects and programs--and I was doing this before the recent recession.

Maybe if the leaders of AIG, Fannie Mae and Merrill Lynch were managing with intensity before the collapse of their companies, our financial and banking infrastructure wouldn't require government intervention.

My only conclusion is that management intensity is just as important in a good economy as it is during a bad one!

No comments:

Post a Comment