Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Getting Started

After contemplating starting a blog, I finally decided to take the plunge--and I'm stuck at the office due to a massive snow storm that is hitting the Ohio Valley--so, there's no time like the present.

"Keep Asking Questions" came to me during my commute this morning. As I reflect on my 13+ years of public relations experience (which have been at various pr/ad agencies)--I've been struck by the fact that smart people are often the ones that "Ask the good questions". Whether it's preparing for a new business pitch, a client presentation or during the discovery phase with a new client, we're are constantly anticipating questions: How will you measure our PR program? What other experience do you have? What are your thoughts on social media? How about those Super Bowl ads? And in turn, we prepare questions to show interest in another's business model: What are your distribution channels? What marketing communications programs have worked in the past? What are your business goals and objectives?

Yet, the funny thing is, we've been stifled of asking too many questions. Remember how annoyed parents and adults got during your inquisitive phase--or perhaps, how annoyed you get now with your own children when they ask too many questions.

It seems to me that the questions keep the world running and keeps us all developing new programs, ideas and initiatives...so, keep asking questions.

1 comment: