Thursday, March 24, 2011

Today's Question: At times, is it OK to be a Sell-Out?


A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to attend the Lady Gaga concert in Columbus. I wouldn't characterize myself as a huge fan, nor have I passionately followed her rise in fame, but I know her top hits, watched her on top news shows and kind of know her background.

What I wasn't ready for was her INTENSE following! She's preached to her fans about being true to his/herself--and believe me, they are!

What disturbed me was the juxtaposition of this genuine message with blatant product placement in the middle of the concert! After extolling her thoughts on being yourself, she whipped out her Virgin Mobile phone and called an audience member!

Really? Be true to yourself, but you'll name drop your presenting sponsor?

At first, I couldn't get over this, but the more I've thought about it, I suppose if is a necessary step for reaching the masses. Without Virgin Mobile, would millions of fans know or hear her message--probably not.

So, be a sell-out to deliver your message, but don't let your financial partner change what you have to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment